Dry weather means untended campfires can be dangerousPosted August 6th, 2012
Gifford Pinchot National Forest fire staff have recently responded to numerous unattended or improperly extinguished campfires, some of which escaped fire-rings and caused small fires. Visitors to the woods should never leave a campfire unattended, and must make sure it is totally out before leaving. An out-of-control campfire requires a response, and using those resources cost taxpayers money. Those leaving campfires unattended could be billed for the cost of suppression of the fire occurring due to their negligence. While campfires in designated areas are still allowed in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, some state and local departments are instituting burn bans. Check with local agencies for current fire restrictions. For more information about how to have a safe campfire—and how to properly extinguish one—click here.